Sunday, August 4, 2013

TedxKL 2013

August 3, 2013 - Had a whale of a time attending TedxKL 2013 in Midvalley with Ah Loong today. I have no idea why I would attend this talk so willingly that despite having to pay RM75, I am more than willing to do so. To be precise, it is actually RM150 but thanks to myHarapan, youth less than 25 years old would receive RM75 rebate with terms and conditions of course.

There are a total of 12 speakers in total. In the first session, I wasn't that amazed and I found it surprisingly disappointing for each speaker only spoke for 10 minutes in quite a mediocre way. In addition, having lost my water bottle and TedxKL bag with lots of vouchers, basically kind of like crack things up. But the following session began to spice up the event. By the way, I bumped into Yasmin, Ecoknights founder. I guess one day, I would be seeing her as one of the Ted's speaker too.

In the exhibition hall, I would say that I obtain a lot of input. Firstly and the most vivid in my mind would be Genovasi. What is Genovasi? It is basically a program, free of charge for Malaysian, which targets to develop design thinking in graduates like me. It is preparation for an individual before stepping into working life. For example, we would be put into a group of five people of different backgrounds say, science, marketing, IT, engineering and arts. So these five people would have to work together on an idea, create a stereotype and test it. In addition, we would also be given a real life internship program after we finish the 10 weeks classes. It's really cool that it teaches you how to be better in thinking, innovative and creative. And the best part is, it is free of charged; fully sponsored by the government for Malaysian. I truly laud such bold and creative move (finally) by the government to nurture young generation so as to prevent further brain drain.

Besides that, there was a booth from myStar Jobs in which they had this fun game that determined the kind of career that better suit our personality. This slot actually revealed to me of who I am. I realize that I have a broad interest basically on most of the things. The result of the game showed that I am a nurturer in which jobs that suit me would be like: nurse, counselor, teacher, chef, nutritionist, etc. Well, I am not surprise because I recall that some psychology test I took last time also revealed the same result. It is true that I am a caring person, but I do care for the environment too, That is why I am in this field. And because environmentalist is not a renown job, it is not listed as one too.

The next booth was also pretty interesting because it displayed all remarkable works by Red Hong Yi. Truly inspiring and impressive to see the level of creativity that she owned. Certainly not easy to reach this stage.

I continued to visit another booth which presented some photography arts by Zung, the famous photographer. One of the pictures was marked as the top of the inspiration of the day. It conveyed a message that it is better to focus on one thing and be great on it rather than too many at one time. It basically jotted me up from my own indulgence that all this while I failed to be good at one thing because I had too much of focuses at a time. That's foolish, but it is not too late to realize it now.

Ok, time to rap up some of the inspiring quotes from these 12 speakers.

First of all, we have Robest Yong, who creatively invented braille apps in smart phone. It works with the concept of having just nine braille keys, the blind person could just simply and merely draw the letters on the smartphone keypad (from special sticker). With this, there is no need to fit in 26 braille keys into a smartphone. Cool huh?




Second of all, we have Ee Soon Wei. An amateur in preserving Chinese culture, inspired by his grandmother stories. His family owns a printing company called The Royal Press in 1932, the era before printer is ever invented. So what he is preserving those intricate machines, delicate letter blocks, workplace, etc in Malacca, so well that it caught the attention of Western researchers and even got filmed by Discovery Channel. I remember a few lines by this presenter:

"I spent three years just to read through documents, study the place where my grandfather once worked at, get to talk to veteran and septuagenarians who are still loyal to remain at that place."

"Write down all your ideas in your own journal and who knows one day, it will be realized."






Third speaker - Kosal Khiev - who I found it hard to fathom his literary speech. But I believe all the audiences including me were imbued by his emotion and eloquence in his talk. He is emphasizing pretty much on unity and unconditioned love. Being someone who has spent part of his life in US prison and surviving the ordeal, changed his perception in life as he returned to his nest - Cambodia. Unconditioned love - despite colour, gender, country, background, etc. Fiery poem.




Forth speaker - Gopi Sekhar - an inventor who turns tyre into something recyclable. I never knew figures could be so scary.


7 billion people
1.1 billion vehicles on road
1.7 billion new tyres per YEAR
1+ billion tyres per YEAR

Imagine that large amount of tyre that we produce! It is so enormous and threatening because tyre is non-biodegradable. Seriously! Thanks to his discovery, he has managed to turn tyre into some other product.





Fifth speaker - Cheryl Tan and Az Samad. Such a pleasant day to have melodious local music to liven up the atmosphere, melting the ice of stiffness in the air, either the muscle or the mental fatigue due to fasting. Getaran Jiwa and Hijau - are the best and most soothing live singing I ever heard from a local lady - Cheryl Tan. I bet she felt blessed for the gift. Az Samad is also very deft and competent strumming perfect music and the arrangement is just nice and heart-melting that it does not cause any uneasiness or nausea among us. Simple music from mere guitar. The collaboration or binding of Cheryl Tan and Az Samad is just like a key fitting perfectly into the keyhole. Oh my...



Prof, Jafri Malin Abdullah, a prolific researcher, sixth speaker of the day, sharing with us the great achievement for the discovery for brain cancer. It started when chicken in Newcastle is infected with a type of virus which caused massive killing. The farmer who has stomach disease is also attacked by the virus from the chicken. But surprisingly, the virus actually cures his stomach disease. Upon such abrupt and shocking news, researchers begin to learn more about the virus which is named Newcastle disease virus (NDV). NDV is a strain which was "cousin" of HIV virus. The main different is that there are three types of NDV: virulent, moderately virulent, and less virulent. The greatness of the less virulent strain is that it could damage cell but not strong enough to kill a living life. Thus, they utilize the virus to combat and cure patient with brain cancer. He and his team succeeded! and he concludes that research is very very important.



Zung - the seventh speaker, pretty much entertain and reverberated "oohs" and "aahhs" every where. He is the founder of The Photoz, a photography company and renown photographer across six continents. Despite his enormous wall of achievement, there lies an emotional yet quite typical history. He is the son of a fisherman in Sekinchan, poor boy, a dropout, slow-learner, and also someone who does not excel academically. But he likes taking pictures, to capture every moment in life. Thus, he makes himself as wedding photographer. He shoots in six continents, each with it's own story.

"Crisis is equal to opportunity."
"Never stop making yourself happy."






Rizal Van Geyzel - eight speaker who is an epic comedian who teaches us on how to hack life in Malaysian way. He is very creative in his speech for he is able to turn some norms into a joke. Truly hilarious. His own identity could really inspire him to joke pretty much about it, needless to say his hack life tips.

"I am the only one with facial hair in the Chinese family."
"Saying ahh-ahh-ahh-ahh to indicate that you are on your way! (what a life hack!)




Here comes Antony Evans - ninth speaker who uses genetic principle to inject firefly's illumination genes into a tree to turn it into a glowing tree which then does not require streetlights.



Next we have Jonathan Buford, the 10th speaker who introduced to us 3D printer.



Peter Sage, the chiseled faced 11th speaker who speaks extremely fast that I could not catch his words. I could not fathom the content of the talk too.

And finally, my most anticipated speaker, Red Hong Yi! Amazingly and jaw dropping talent that she is born with. As mentioned above, it is certainly not an easy path for her to reach this level of creativity in art. She too admitted that she once struggle to continue pursue art with or without brush. She certainly the latter because it brings art to another level but whether able to accept criticism for such bold move is another story to be deal. After some soul searching, she decided firmly to throw away her brush, which also means to discard the fear of being criticize. And she ended her speech flawlessly with the rhetorical question:

"When are you going to throw your brush?"






No comments:

Post a Comment