Ok so here it goes.
The first plant explained by handsome, chisel-faced and army-built figure - Mr Sugu - was called kayu manis in Malay; clove in English; bear fruit called nutmeg (buah pala).
I seriously so gonna write it all down on everything that I have learned on this valuable and fantastic trip to UM's treasure - Rimba Ilmu - despite being an obsolete piece of writing, thanks to procrastination.
Ok so here it goes.
The first plant explained by handsome, chisel-faced and army-built figure - Mr Sugu - is called
~ Kayu Manis in Malay; Clove in English; bear fruit called nutmeg (buah pala);
~ it is a native plant (means an origin here);
~ comes from guava family;
~ abundant in Penang because back to the colonization era, The Dutch planted this a lot.
Finally, I get to see the real Cycas plant that I have learned last time during Matriculation.
~ from Phylum Cycadophyta from Gymnosperm;
~ existed since Dinosaur Age;
~ abundant in Northern side of Malaysia;
~ also known as King Crab or Crocodile (look at the distinctive layers of diagonally shaped pattern on the trunk);
~ often being smuggle;
~ trunk-like stem; nodules on root.
The third plant introduced by Dr Sugu is Pandan Tree. I am amazed because all this while, the pandan I have seen planted by Mum is just some low lying plant! I never thought there is actually a tree for pandan. Besides, it can bear fruit if there is stem.
The forth plant is Palm Tree. This plant has a habit to grow in a cluster. Besides, it is native in Malaysia; can be found growing in swamp; endangered plant. To be frank, now only I get to confirm on the name of the lofty tree with auburn-coloured trunk that has been planted in my neighbour's yard.
Underneath it, there is Kacip Fatimah. I never thought I can finally seen it with my own eyes besides from the Power Root advertisement. So basically as all of us know, Kacip Fatimah is famous for post-birth treatment. It is proven to be able to shrink woman's uterus after giving birth.
This cute, petite leaves are actually Misai Kucing. I used to see this in sachet form sold in Cosway. It is good in regulating menstruation. As explained by Dr Sugu, Misai Kucing originates from South America.
Another fascinating discovery in Plantae world is that there is also Fern Tree aside from the ubiquitous knee level fern in school compound. Fern Tree is practically dead from the bottom to the tip of the trunk. It relies on surface tension in order to obtain water.
For the first time too, I get to see a Mangosteen Tree.There is no male plant yet it is still a flowering plant. Then how does it produce fruit without two different distinct genders? It actually produces fruits naturally upon reaching maturity. Yea, without male plant. Does it mean all mangosteen trees are lesbo? Ahahaha...
The following tree is unique one for it has numerous brown and green leaves flanking the trunk. I wonder why is it so? Nevertheless, this is Cinnamon Tree in which it has a spongy tree trunk. Its leaf exudes a type of scent which is for protection purpose.
This prickly plant is called Sisal aka needle and thread plant. Reason being is because the prickles have lots of fibre which are suitable to make clothes.
Ahhh Oak Tree! Just when Dr Sugu tell us only I acknowledge the fact that Malaysia actually as more oak tree than Europe!
Berlian Tree is actually endemic to Borneo. It has the hardest and most durable wood which is good to make coffin in some tribe. This also explains why it is bad for wood carving.
Nangka tree pun adaaa!
This is interesting. The auburn flake I am holding comes from Pokok Kelat. The flake is used to dye hair. However, if there are a lot of flakes around the tree, it means that it has low immune system.
We also visited the herbarium where diverse species of orchids can be found! Not forgetting moss and algae too!
Hope all of them had fun learning about plants. Look forward for another Rimba Edu Trip!







No comments:
Post a Comment