Saturday, September 27, 2014

Am Applying to Be The Next TUNZA ECO GENERATION Ambassador! ( Post written on 12/7/2014)

MOTIVATION 


The main reason I want to become Eco-generation Regional Ambassador is because I would like to use this platform to carry out more eco-activities especially in my own university before graduating. Most of environmental degradation incidents happen due to anthropocentrism. I strongly believe that to change this, we must tackle the root cause which is human mentality. Education plays the utmost importance to shape one's mind and I would dare to say that Malaysia's education system needs to incorporate eco-education as well.

My first step to reach that vision is by starting more initiatives in my campus University of Malaya. I would like to organize more activities and events which can directly educate the campus community particularly undergraduate students on the importance to always keep Mother Nature in mind before doing anything besides convincing them towards sustainable lifestyle.

Reason being is because the youth today is the nation's tomorrow leader. When they step into the reality and contribute to the country's development, I sincerely hope that through my initiatives, I am able to etch in their mind the importance of achieving balance in economy, social and environmental aspects. This is because from my current observation, leaders nowadays are too monetary driven that they have neglected the social welfare and also caused more and more environmental pollution. Mother Nature should be placed as the number one priority but I failed to see that in my own country as most of us have taken too much resources without any return.

Besides, I also look forward to meet more environment fighters from other countries, share ideas and probably create an opportunity to collaborate to make a larger difference. I also anticipate to understand their cultures, norms and thinking, so that I am able to put myself better in their shoes, enhance my knowledge and also ability to provide a better solutions to environmental issues.

Last but not least, I stick firm to the saying that "Precaution is always better than cure". Therefore, I am very passionate and motivated to raise more environmental awareness  and also do my best instilling the love for Mother Nature in each of the people I come across.


COVERAGE PLAN 

First month: Organize Eco-Education trip to Rimba Ilmu Botanic Garden.

Rimba Ilmu can be considered as a mini forest (80 hectares) located in University of Malaya. This forest amazingly sustains life of numerous endemic species of plants like medicinal plants, wild orchids, palms, pandan, tropical fruit trees, gingers, aquatic plants, wild citrus relatives to rare and endangered plants in need of conservation. It also serves as a good research site and also education purpose.

Many are not aware of the existence of this green treasure and its a shame that not many events/activities are held to promote the beauty of biodiversity we have in campus! As such, I am eager to carry out a Eco-Education trip to Rimba Ilmu.

I have past experience organizing this event and I am confident to do it again as the response received was overwhelming. The person in charge of Rimba Ilmu also lauded this action and look forward to another trip!

Second month:

1: Organize Environmental Race event.

This race has a concept similar to treasure hunt. Participants will need to solve environmental-related tasks in each checkpoint and the fastest group will win the race. In this event, I will garner manpower from my coursemates to influence more people to lead sustainable lifestyle. I have a like-minded teammates who strongly believe that this is the time to share what we have learned throughout our three years studies.

2: Launch Carton Recycling Initiative

I will start this initiative by collaborating Tetrapak Malaysia. My aim is to setup a few carton collection bins around the campus area in support with Zero Waste Campaign launched in my university. My intention is also to spread the awareness to the public that the raw material of the carton can be turned into useful material like roofing tiles and panel board, which will then be used to build orang asli homes.

Third month: Organize Eco-Education in primary school.

Similarly to Environmental Race, I will also work with my coursemates to organize Eco-Education program, this time in a primary school. It has always been my intention to reach out to younger generation while they are still not as stubborn and skeptical on going green. My aim is to instill good values in them, for instance, their role in protecting nature and also how going green can be fun and cool!

Fourth month: Organize E-waste Collection Day in faculty.

According to source, Malaysia has generated of electric and electronic waste. It has always been my concern about the disposal of the e-waste generated. We often see newspaper, plastic bottles and aluminum cans recyclers in our vicinity. But for unwanted electrical equipment, it is particularly rare and discouraging due to lack of collection and disposal facilities and also the high cost for waste treatment. Despite all these factors, I am strongly motivated to create a solution for this matter either a short or long term one.

For short term solution, I plan to organize E-waste Collection Day in my faculty. Vigorous publicity will be carried out to tell the public on proper disposal of E-waste as this type of waste is hazardous to environment and human if not managed properly. As for long term solution, I plan to place a few collection bins at strategic places. I will also engage with licensed collector to collect the waste for proper disposal.

Fifth month:

1. Continuously monitor my pilot projects: Carton Recycling project and E-waste Collection system in campus.

2. Write environmental-related articles and publish it in local tabloids. I am very confident with this because currently I am working with an NGO called Green and Blue Environmental Protection Society of Malaysia, in which we are targeting for a monthly press release on various environmental issue. Below is the link for a press release I wrote.

http://www.nst.com.my/node/6535?d=1
http://www.nst.com.my/node/7832
http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v7/bu/newsbusiness.php?id=1049612

Final month:
Continue writing articles and press release to highlight on environmental issues.


p/s: I have officially been selected as Tunza Eco-Generation Ambassador for Malaysia on 26th of August 2014. Ticked my first responsibility in organizing Environmental Race aka EcoExplorace 2014. Update in the coming post!

No comments:

Post a Comment