Saturday, June 21, 2014

Do Something Good!

I don't know whether its a blessing in disguise or not, but hey, I just got to thank Bern for indirectly and unintentionally trapped me to attend Do Something Good event. Prior to dropping me off, he taught me on how to get to NSTP just in case he is not able to fetch me. And yeah, turned out that he did not drive me there after the anxious wait. Never mind, let's just learn to be independent.

As I strode hastily to KL gate, I was stopped by a car, asking for direction (which I do not know why I always encounter this). Anyway, it happened for good, because I managed to hitch hike! The driver was an ex-UMian, looking of sports centre. Kind enough, he agreed to gave me a ride until the junction before KL gate. I was very grateful that I managed to experiment the cause that I was about to pitch later. 

Arrived Abdullah Hukum station at 7pm! I had always been curious on how Abdullah Hukum look like, and how did the name emanate? Anyway, dream comes true, I am here in Abdullah Hukum, walking along the pedestrian street smugly while the rest of the cars crept like tortoise along the road. 

Using just google map, the shrewd me manage to find NSTP. Yeah! Great adventure. 




And so, the event took place with full of interesting people. I got to talk to Yana, a Slovakian, who has traveled to Africa before coming to Malaysia. Cute petite lady unlike the typical tall mat salleh. And then a few other like from the British Council and Teach For Malaysia.

Met this guy called Victor, who is a super tall guy, yet not reaching 2 metres. Apparently he worked in TFM and I can see the passion in his eyes. Meeting Karthik was another pleasant encounter for he was one of the speakers representing TFM. I hoped I did not act like a rude one because I really did not know that until he tell! Although he claimed to be 27 years old, he seriously do not look like one. Looking youthful and enthusiastic as well, he actually has a penchant to keep weird thing - leaf. I was like wow this is cool man! Apparently his hobby started is a serendipitous discovery. He once spotted his cousin collecting some old brownish thing but he never bother to know what exactly the item was. So to compete against he cousin, he started to do the same thing by assuming that the brown stuff was leaf. At the end of the day, he realized that he was wrong and that the brown thing was actually old stamps. Nevertheless, he continued his hobby despite the odd.

Most of the people I met was of very high class type: banana, wear branded clothes, good looking, fluent English. And then of all sudden, Bernard said he thought I'll be wearing something nice and different, dress maybe? I was like sorry to let you down but I was literally tried to portray my very own persona.

Anyway, I pitched! Cool! It was not difficult at all but it triggered some realization in me.

I realized that if I was given space to quit, my heart got distracted easily and something started to provoke me to quit;
I realized that to be successful, you must not hesitate and be affected by external force; I've got to hold on to my initial will and stay real firm on it;
I realized that I need to stop feeling bad and making unnecessary assumption; I need to make positive assumption.
I realized that I need to stop being anxious that my act and presence is bringing trouble to people by blocking the thought and make reality check on whether their faces show it, their body languages indicates this, etc.

And here I am, pitching! A photo I never thought DSG snapped it and posted it in FB. Received some overwhelming comments and it got me jittery already. Okay, let's just embrace my own greatness!



Thanks for all the encouragement Bern. 


No comments:

Post a Comment